Thursday, November 6, 2008

MC- R.I.P

Michael Crichton 1942-2008. Terrible loss to the literary world.

Back when I had absolutely nothing to do during my Class X hols, I came upon a book called Congo near the section of books that were mostly in demand. I was dying for something new after years of Agatha Christie, Hardy Boys and HP stuff.. and Congo came as a relevation to me. I still pat myself on the back for having done the only two worthwhile things in my life: having picked up Congo during my Class X hols and The LoTR during my Class XI hols. 

Congo literally kept me hooked to my seat... I usually try and finish a book in one sitting, but with Congo, there was NO choice. The pace at which the book moved, the rapid no-nonsense narration, the interesting tidbits of science thrown in between, all these kept me riveted till the end. I couldn't wait to get my hands on the rest of the MC books, and Jurassic Park(naturally!), Timeline, Eaters OF the Dead, The Andromeda Strain, Terminal Man, The Lost World and the rest followed. 

Sphere was one unexpected hell of a ride, so was Jurassic Park.

For a guy who grew up thinking that the whole Jurassic Park series(spoiled by Spielberg) was just a commercial mish-mash of special effects + monstrous dinosaurs + screaming ladies, the book came as a sucker punch from the dark. And I simply can never forget the time I spent reading State Of Fear, and my baseless argument in the class debate on Climate Change, fueled by the fact that thalaivar Crichton was on my side :). 

People may argue that Crichton was losing his touch, but hell, he's done more than enough. Writing science-fiction in such a manner that even the common man can understand its nuances, without compromising on its quality or its pulsating pace is not an easy task. 

He leaves behind a void that none can fill for now, a void which is all thats left of a place that was rightfully claimed by him.

 RIP, Mike. 

Ian Malcolm will forever remain in our heads, as the God of all Geeks. So will Richard Levine.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Worstu man...
RIP MC...
Thala..

Vinay said...

Oh? The dude's dead? Sad. I tried state of fear and gave up midway cuz that was too much of science for me. Anyways RIP.

CkisgoD said...

@GS

thala.. free..

CkisgoD said...

@Vinay

yeah, dude. try the rest... his older books r better... m sure u ll like em. u cud say he was Dan Brown's predecessor.. not so controversial though.

Anish Annadurai said...

i guess it is safe to say that no other writer has ever explored the boundaries of science & fiction as much as Michael Crichton,those remarkable ideas,gripping storyline,amazing scientific revelations always leading to the questions of "what if "conditions which tends to broaden our minds beyond mere facts and data known to mankind.Not just the literary world but its a huge blow for all the future generations,the only good grace is we are still blessed with all his works which strongly suggests that there is always something more to know than what we actually know.I do not wish to conclude by typing in "RIP" for it would mean the conclusion acceptance of the fact that one of the most greatest minds in the literary world has left us forever but unfortunately i am left with no other choice :RIP MICHAEL CRICHTON

Vinay said...

and I forgot to mention, I really liked that Global Warming contradiction

CkisgoD said...

@ ANish

namma rendu perukkum padikka ini book- eh illaye paa... :(

CkisgoD said...

@Vinay

yup... i literally thrived on it. :)

i guess i wrote a blog post on it too...
http://thedailypuke.blogspot.com/2007/01/is-global-warming-false.html

free...

Vinay said...

no dude..I dont read MC...I meant ur post. I'd read it earlier. Dont think I commented on it. So that compliment was for you.

CkisgoD said...

thanks of the man of the compliment :D

Anish Annadurai said...

yeah guess v can always read them again :( i still missed out eaters of the dead and the great train robbery so i guess i better finish it

Vinay said...

You're totally welcome. I really enjoyed that post. So when's the next post comin up?

CkisgoD said...

sometime soon, man... never got around to digging deeper into the stuff. but coming soon... :D